NYCPHP Meetup

NYPHP.org

improving php+mysql performance at blogyourdesign.com

Jayesh Sheth JayeshSh at netscape.net
Mon Dec 16 13:33:43 EST 2002

Hello all,

I have recently set up a site called blogyourdesign.com ( link:
http://www.blogyourdesign.com ), which is a site for designers to review
each others' designs. I have several questions about the site; however,
before I ask them, here is a quick backgrounder on how the site runs: I
use a small (5 kilobytes) , open source weblog system, called Rodin,
which can be found at:  http://rodin.lot23.com/about/ . Rodin uses the
"dynamic duo" : PHP and MySQL. Since I am more of a designer person than
a database guru, I just followed their setup instructions for the
database (using PHPmyadmin), and then plugged my own "theme" into Rodin.

It all worked perfectly the first time I tried it (knock on wood), *but*
the main problem is that the site often loads slowly. I use Yahoo's
Webhosting for this particular project, so my question is: is it slow
because Yahoo has millions of customers sharing its PHP and MySQL
resources, or because (I think) Rodin does not "cache" the output?

Also, a second, but less important (for now) question is : would anyone
know how to write a commenting module for this system. I am trying to
learn more about using PHP with MySQL everyday, so maybe in some time
I'd be able to do that myself. But if any of you have some good ideas, I
will definitely use them.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

- Jay Sheth